Sunday, February 14, 2010

Creamy Potato Soup

For our main dish this week we tried out a new recipe for potato soup. I make potato soup pretty often in the colder months, but this one is quite different from my usual. It's supposed to be a knock off of Panera Bread's potato soup, but I'll be the one to tell you, it doesn't taste quite like theirs. BUT it is still quite good. And I think I will add it to our menu! Here it is.



Creamy Potato Soup

  • 6 cups Chicken Broth
  • 6 cups Potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 tsp. Seasoning Salt
  • 1/4 tsp. White Pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. Ground Red Pepper
  • 1 (8 oz.) pkg Cream Cheese, cut into chunks, room temperature
  • Bacon Bits (optional)
  • Chives (optional)
1. Combine broth, potatoes, and spices. Cook until potatoes are tender. Smash a few of the potatoes to release their starch for thickening. If you like it smooth and thick, smash more, if you like it soupy just smash a little of it.

2. Reduce to low heat. Add cream cheese. Heat, stirring frequently, until cheese melts (the cheese may look lumpy and rise to the surface, but just keep stirring and it will eventually melt).

3. Sprinkle soup with bacon and chives if desirable.


I figure if I'm gonna try these new recipes, I'm gonna go all out and so I bought a round bread loaf and made a bread bowl. After all, that's how Panera serves theirs!



No comments:

Post a Comment